Freelance Multimedia Journalist and Presenter, Doha, Qatar
Aug 2011 – Present
- Euronews: Wrote, shot and edited 3-minute video report on National Geographic photographer REZA, Jan. 2013.
- Al Fanar: Report on higher education issues in the Gulf.
- Wamda: Ongoing video and print reporter on Doha-based entrepreneurs and business initiatives.
- United Nations’ Universal Postal Union: Print reporter on the 25th Universal Postal Congress in Doha, Oct. 2012.
- THINK. magazine: Wrote in-depth report on the impact of globalization and immigration on Qatar, Aug. 2012.
- Startle.com, Forbes Travel Guide: Doha correspondent, Aug. 2012.
- Frequent contributor to local publications: Time Out Doha, Qatar Happening, GLAM and ABODE magazine.
- Independent documentary filmmaker: Current project explores the discrimination Muslim Tatars in Ukraine face.
Northwestern University in Qatar, Doha, Qatar
Aug 2011 – Present
Lecturer of Journalism in Residence
Teach two core courses of the journalism program: Visual Journalism and Advanced Online Journalism.
- Fundamentals of photojournalism and broadcast journalism.
- How to write, shoot, and edit broadcast news packages.
- Reporter stand-ups and live shots.
- How to create audio slideshows.
- How to create animation and graphics using Adobe After Effects and Flash.
- Documentary Film production.
- Social Media for expanding personal brand and cultivating interview sources.
- Class work includes: www.qatarsweetepidemic.org - explores the country’s diabetes and obesity epidemic. The website received nearly 3,000 page views within the first week of its launch and was highlighted by local and international journalists and news sites, including by Katie Couric. www.qatarunderconstruction.org - investigates Qatar’s substandard fire and construction safety standards.
Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, Washington, D.C.
Dec 2009 – Jul 2011
Presenter and Video Journalist
- Anchored and produced weekly video newscast on Pulitzer Center reportage, events and journalist discussions.
- Produced and anchored 14 episodes on broadcast shooting and editing techniques for YouTube Project: Report, a national video journalism competition co-sponsored by YouTube and the Pulitzer Center. Segments received more than 40,000 views.
- Produced and shot multimedia report (video and article) on the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and its similarities to the Japan Fukushima crisis. Report also published by Women’s eNews and the Christian Science Monitor.
- Other video and multimedia reports: press freedom in Ukraine, the murder of journalists in the Caucasus, maternal mortality in the developing world, what net neutrality means for journalists, and an interview with ICC Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo on Darfur and the Lord’s Resistance Army, among others.
- Discussed the 2009 Gaza War and related rocket attacks on Be’er Sheva in a televised segment for CNN iReport. Shot video of people running to bomb shelter during rocket attack, which aired on several CNN segments and was repeatedly shown throughout network’s war coverage.
- Delivered several live shots on the 2009 Gaza War from Be’er Sheva for WEWS News Channel 5 in Cleveland. Shot photos of rocket and mortar destruction, which were shown during live-shot segments.
TIME Magazine, London
Sep 2007 – Jan 2008
Reporter and Video Producer, Medill School of Journalism Student Resident
- Co-produced and edited 10 videos for TIME.com. Pieces included a profile of London mayoral candidate Boris Johnson, a look at The Lord Mayor’s Show, an interview with film director Anton Corbijn (Control, 2007), and the revival of the bespoke tailoring industry on Savile Row.
- Freelance: Produced, shot and edited 3-minute piece on adventure tours to nuclear disaster site Chernobyl.
- Wrote article on the renovation of London’s Fortnum & Mason department store for TIME Europe Magazine
KVRR-TV, Fargo, North Dakota
Jun 2007 – Aug 2007
D.C. Correspondent, Medill School of Journalism Student Resident
- On-camera reporter on Congressional activities.
- Wrote, shot, edited and narrated a package on senators’ response to the Minneapolis bridge collapse.
- Stories included the State Children’s Health Insurance Program debate (SCHIP), increase in reward money for Osama bin Laden, the Senate farm bill and Rep. Keith Ellison’s (D-MN) comparison of President Bush to Hitler.
E News, Johannesburg
Mar 2006 – Jun 2006
On-Camera Reporter, Medill School of Journalism Student Resident
- Investigated and reported on a government scandal involving the illegal abduction of an alleged Taliban operative.
- Reported extensively on the country’s AIDS crisis. Recorded a detailed package on the U.S. ‘ABC’ policy and its impact on South African HIV-prevention programs.
- Produced and anchored a half-hour documentary about my experiences in South Africa titled, “An American in Johannesburg.” Other video reports included Nelson Mandela’s meeting with pop group The Black Eyed Peas.
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Be’er Sheva, Israel
Aug 2008 – Aug 2009
Master of Arts in Middle East Studies - Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship, awarded by Ohio Rotary District 6630
Medill School of Journalism – Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
Sep 2003 – Dec 2007
Master of Science in Broadcast Journalism
Bachelor of Science in Journalism
- Accelerated Master’s Program
- GPA 3.755. Graduated Cum Laude, Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honor Society
- Study abroad at the American University in Cairo, 2005
Languages: Fluent in English and Ukrainian. Some Arabic and Hebrew.
Video/Photo Editing: Expert in Final Cut Pro, Avid, Adobe Premiere, Linear Editing, Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
Computer: ENPS, HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver, Motion, In Design, PowerPoint, Access, Excel, Adobe After Effects.
HONORS, CONFERENCES AND ACTIVITIES
Member, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)
Faculty Advisor/Member, Society of Professional Journalists in Qatar
Featured Chorus Member, “Medea,” Northwestern University in Qatar, 2013.
Lead Actress, Jenny in “Lipstick Dreams,” The Doha Players (Qatar), 2012
Scholar, Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship to Be’er Sheva, Israel, 2008 – 2009
Inductee, Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honor Society, 2007
Conferences and Presentations
Harvard Project for International and Asian Relations (HPAIR) Conference, Dubai, August 2013. Presentation: Evolution of Censorship in Qatar.
Qatar University Conference: Qatar Under Foreign Media Lens, April 2012. Panel member and seminar speaker.
NUQ at Doha Film Institute Family Days, November 2012. Host and spokesperson.
Global Entrepreneurship Week in Doha, November 2012. Presentation: “Social Media: How to Skyrocket Your Business or Website.”
How Women Work Conference, March 2012. Presentation: “Social Media: How to Skyrocket Your Business or Website.”
Association for Theatre in Higher Education, August 2012. Presentation: “Arab Awakenings: Negotiating Cultural Boundaries in Qatar”
Edinburgh Travel Writer, NileGuide.com, 2010 – 2011
Refugee Assistance Program Mentor, International Rescue Committee and Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (D.C.), 2010 – 2011
Lead Actress, Nina in “The Seagull,” The Arlington Players (VA), 2010 – 2011
Volunteer Video Producer and English Tutor, Step Forward (Bedouin NGO in Rahat, Israel), 2008 – 2009
Lead Actress/Singer, Sarah Brown in “Guys and Dolls,” Light Opera Group of the Negev (Be’er Sheva), 2008 – 2009
President, Society of Professional Journalists – Northwestern University in Evanston Chapter, 2007 – 2007
Member, Alpha Phi, Northwestern University, 2003 – 2007